We are proud to partner with The Holistic Life Foundation in Baltimore. We had the honor to visit their pilot program and the tools they are providing these young people with is extraordinary and quite simple; it's all within them and in the practice.
LETTER FROM THE FOUNDERS
Thank you for your continued support of the work of Holistic Life Foundation, Incorporated. Our unique programming offers a dedicated approach to fostering social, emotional, environmental, and physical improvements in the lives of children, adults, and families. Through a comprehensive approach that incorporates yoga and mindfulness instruction, workforce development, teacher training, outreach, and education, our programs are making a direct impact on under served populations across the country, and throughout the world.
2015 was a year of significant growth for HLF. Our staff, which increased from 22 to 27, served approximately 3500 children in the Baltimore community on a weekly basis. Our ability to provide thousands of children with training in yoga, mindfulness, and emotional self-regulation encourages community-wide peace. In turn, these children teach what they have learned to their parents, siblings, neighbors, and friends. HLF is building a movement and we thank our generous supporters in Baltimore and beyond.
Our significant 2015 highlights include:
- Our flagship After-school Program, Holistic Me, is now a federally-funded 21st Century Community Learning site serving 120 students each school day.
- Hosting our first Holistic Me Summer Camp, which served 100 students.
- Participating in a Whil Grow App project that enables youth and adults worldwide to access yoga and mindfulness techniques at any moment through their smartphones.
- Sending eight teachers and administrators from Baltimore City Public Schools to Germany for a week long yoga training.
- Delivering yoga and mindfulness programs to students, teachers, and wellness practitioners in Baltimore, Charlottesville, Minneapolis, Madison, and in Austria and Germany
- Facilitating “Bmore Peace,” an open community meditation following the murder of Freddie Gray.
- Media features in Yoga Journal, Parade Magazine, Huffington Post, MindBodyGreen, the movie Planetary, Draze, Afro, PresnaLibre, and an Open Society
- Hosting our first Friendraiser and our 4th Annual Seeds for Growth Fundraiser.
In 2015 we also celebrated the accomplishments of our Workforce Development participants. Oba Joyner and JamarPeete, graduates of our original Holistic Me class, won the Outstanding New Health and Wellness Program award from the state of Virginia for their work in teaching HLF’s approach to mindfulness at the Boys and Girls Club in Charlottesville. Additionally, Jerron Wallace, HLF graduate and instructor, presented before an audience at the United Nations International Day of Peace in New York. These accomplishments, as well as the daily efforts of each of our Workforce Development participants, help to sustain our efforts. As we look back on 2015 and ahead to 2016, we feel confident in HLF’s bright future.
We thank all of the foundations and private donors whose generosity and commitment to the HLF mission enables us to continue to share love, light, and peace.
Ali Smith, Co-Founder and Executive Director
Atman Smith, Co-Founder and Director of Fundraising
Andres Gonzalez, Co-Founder and Director of Marketing